I started choosing to eat less meat 25 years ago. While I was married, I cooked 2 suppers–one with meat and one without meat. So when I chose to go vegetarian, my food choices were about 90% there. There are many ways to be a vegetarian. The first plan I used is called flexitarian. I now use the pescatarian plan because I love fish.
- Vegetarians covers all types of vegetable based diets.
- Vegans eat No animal products, such as meat, eggs, or dairy products.
- Lacto-vegetarian: No meat or eggs, but dairy products are OK.
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarian: No meat, but dairy products and eggs are OK.
- Flexitarians are flexible and can eat milk, eggs, meat, poultry, pork, or fish when they want, but generally stick to a vegetarian based diet. (Such as vegan at home but anything when visiting.)
- Semi-vegetarians regularly eat mostly vegetables with a little milk, eggs, meat, poultry, pork, or fish. (Such as broccoli and cheese or a chicken salad.)
- Pescatarian eat a plant-based diet plus fish.